Lacquer (Japanning-Chinoiserie) and lacquer restoration require an understanding of centuries old techniques with both eastern and western materials. Our conservators have the expertise to consolidate and match surfaces including export furniture, Urushi based Chinoiserie, Japanned decorated furniture and the American-style Japanned pieces of Boston.
- Scientific analysis of pigments and ground
- Matching of gilded powders and leaf materials
- Filling losses
- Replication of textured and raised surfaces
- Stopping and/or reversing the effects of environmental and water damage
- Surface conservation using Urushi and other period compatible materials